Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bagalope and Singing Time Props

Last night a couple of the girls from my scrapbooking team on SparkPeople.com wanted to go into the online chat room that we have for our team and chat while they watched the Penn State-Ohio State game. So since I didn't get to join in for much of the day yesterday because of the Halloween party prep, I decided I would join in too and watch the World Series Game! lol

So during the crop/chat I was getting my singing time props ready for church. I teach the kids music. So I had gotten an idea from something that was in the book I got when I started doing this job. It had an apron with some pockets on it that were drawn on. In the pockets you were to put popsicle sticks or papers with songs names on it depending on the subject is what pocket the song went in. Anyway, even though I would like to do that, with all the abuse charges nowadays, I just felt it was best to not do something where the kids would be sticking their hands into something that I was actually wearing. So I was trying to figure out something different. I came up with the idea of having a spinner and that would be the subject they would have to draw a song out of.

So I got that all created and got the labels for the subjects figured out. But my main problem was figuring out what container to put the songs in (and the labels on). Mind you this was about 11:00pm Saturday night (I had to have this for church at 9am this morning). So I asked the ladies on the chat (thank heavens we were on the chat while I was doing this....God works in mysterious ways sometimes!). The only thing I could come up with was styrofoam cups. Unless I wanted my DH to go buy some paper bags (since he works nights right next to Walmart, he could go on his break). But the styrofoam cups seemed tacky (even though they said it wasn't too bad) and the paper bags would mean spending money and asking my husband to go do it during his break, but hopefully before midnight since we don't shop on Sundays.

Thankfully, Tracy had an EXCELLENT idea! She said, "you can make a bagalope." I said, HUH??? "What is a bagalope?" She provided this link http://www.stampin-pad.com/bagalope.htm So I went and read it. Basically, in case you don't care how or what it is too much, lol, an envelope made into a bag! Pretty easy, especially after you get the hang of it. Plus you can make it as simple or elegant as you want. Since it was already late enough I knew I just had to get them done so mine are simple! lol Here is one of the bags (probably one I will change since the subject is limited to only 5 songs! lol).


And here is the final project with the spinner and all the bags.


Again, THANK YOU TRACY!!!

4 comments:

Denice said...

Too cute! Love the name "Bagalope"! Leave it to Tracy to come up with a cute, decorative bag....she's full of inspiration!
I bet the kids had a great time playing the spinner game and singing their songs. I might have to borrow this idea!

Tracy said...

Absolutely adorable!!! I'm glad I could help out! :)

Scrappinaway said...

That is great!! I will have to try it when i can figure out what the directions are really saying! LOL!!

Pam said...

You know... I love those little bagalopes!! I have made more than I can count and used them all for different things... one year I made them for the entire staff where I taught and filled them with Easter goodies! I've also put gift cards and such into them, too!
Yours turned out AWESOME and go SO well with the spinner! Great work!!